Here we go again: another book with which I am not familiar, excepting that I knew there was a movie version either starring or produced by Oprah, or maybe both.
In one sense, it's a natural, spiritual sequel to The Color Purple, but the shared setting of continuing to expose the worst of the worst about the recent history of slavery in the U.S. is the only point where the two novels intersect. Beloved then ventures forth into horror, both spiritual and very human, through a poetic treatment of a story told by changing perspectives, allowing us to learn what's driving people in fits and spurts as details of the past emerge piece by piece.As I'll be turning 52 at the end of August 2026, I'll be spending the 52 weeks leading up to that moment by celebrating popular, acclaimed, and personally beloved movies, music, books, TV shows, games, food, or events from each year of my life. The plan is to move through one year each week - but I know enough about these kinds of projects to expect to be flexible. By the way: I live in Canada, just so you have a sense of what kinds of entertainment I've been surrounded by.
Thursday, January 29, 2026
1987's Pulitzer Prize winner Beloved delivers torment in a singular work
It's tempting to dismiss the readability of such works as these as being important in a cultural and historical sense, while maybe not being a thrilling read in and of itself, but this book is much more than that. I've written before that I feel a bit silly heaping praise on an already revered novel, but what else can I do? It's not a comforting read, but it's so beautifully lyrical that it's well worth it.
I forgot to take a picture of the copy that I had from the library, but that's the right cover above. The pages were thick and a little jaggedy, and that texture added an extra little something to the reading experience, too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2004 in movies: grumpy trolls and grumpy old men rule
As a self-described savvy market overseer might say, Shrek sure was edgy, current, and hip. That Starbucks joke was funny then, back when ...
-
I've never watched an episode of CSI and I'll attribute that to two things, one of which is functional and one is kind of inexplic...
-
The first and only other time I've read this book, best seller in 2003, was only a couple of years after it came out. It was recommended...
-
2003 in video games: another weird arcade game, more Pokémon and SimCity, and Mario Kart has its dayIf you've been following along with my arcade posts, then you know the story from these early 2000s: Street Fighter, and other games l...
No comments:
Post a Comment