As must be true for any good buddy movie, neither of these two movies, 1988's top-earner Who Framed Roger Rabbit and the Oscar-winning Rain Man, works without the balance in the combination of the two leads.
As I'll be turning 52 at the end of August 2026, I'll be spending the 52 weeks leading up to that moment by celebrating popular, acclaimed, and personally beloved movies, music, books, TV shows, games, food, or events from each year of my life. The plan is to move through one year each week - but I know enough about these kinds of projects to expect to be flexible. By the way: I live in Canada, just so you have a sense of what kinds of entertainment I've been surrounded by.
Friday, January 30, 2026
1988 in movies: Odd couples, indeed
Roger Rabbit, the movie, is such a wild creation. After watching it and remembering how not for kids it is, it's tempting to look back and say "Well, I saw it as a kid," but I didn't. I was fourteen. That's a pretty great age for seeing this movie.
While Hoskins does the work to sell everything going on around him and Lloyd was born to steal any show that he's in, Joanna Cassidy as Dolores always grounds the movie for me.
At one point I had a VHS copy of this and I must've watched it more times than I would have guessed, because I knew every beat as the movie went along. For now, I settled for watching on Disney+.
As for Rain Man, I'm pretty sure this was only the second time I've seen it, so I didn't remember a lot of the smaller details. It sure takes some effort to go from grade-A jerk Tom in the beginning to sweetheart Tom by the end - it's possible they overshot how jerky to make him off the bat - but I think it gets there in a believable enough fashion.
Hoffman's performance, either unfortunately or by calculation, is distilled down into memorable and quotable moments, but he's a constant throughout which I suppose may actually be a tricky performance, especially for someone as famously methodical as Hoffman. Growth of character is, I would think, something most actors take as a given throughout a film. I suppose that's why Cruise is the intended star here - although it's Hoffman who would win the Best Actor award, without even a nomination for Cruise.
And I wouldn't have remembered that Rain Man is the first Tom Cruise feature to use Iko Iko as the opening song, years before Mission: Impossible II.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2004 in movies: grumpy trolls and grumpy old men rule
As a self-described savvy market overseer might say, Shrek sure was edgy, current, and hip. That Starbucks joke was funny then, back when ...
-
I've never watched an episode of CSI and I'll attribute that to two things, one of which is functional and one is kind of inexplic...
-
The first and only other time I've read this book, best seller in 2003, was only a couple of years after it came out. It was recommended...
-
2003 in video games: another weird arcade game, more Pokémon and SimCity, and Mario Kart has its dayIf you've been following along with my arcade posts, then you know the story from these early 2000s: Street Fighter, and other games l...
No comments:
Post a Comment