Kick is a great album, filled with both mega hits (I watched the video for Need You Tonight incessantly) and better-than-required filler tracks like Tiny Daggers and the title track, which vies for my favourite on the album now and then. I always liked how the word "kick" found its way into Daggers and Devil Inside, too, which seemed to me a clever way of creating a concept for the album in a a subdued way. I wonder if it was the lyrics or the album title that came first?
As I'll be turning 52 at the end of August 2026, I'll be spending the 52 weeks leading up to that moment by celebrating popular, acclaimed, and personally beloved movies, music, books, TV shows, games, food, or events from each year of my life. The plan is to move through one year each week - but I know enough about these kinds of projects to expect to be flexible. By the way: I live in Canada, just so you have a sense of what kinds of entertainment I've been surrounded by.
Sunday, February 1, 2026
1988's top selling album is Kick ... and no Juno winner from this year
I still have my cassette, a little faded and no longer graced by the sleeve, but hanging in there after countless listens on my yellow Sony Sports Walkman (R.I.P.).
In Canada, as noted in my post for last year/week, the Junos took the year off to juggle their scheduling of the awards, moving them from late in the year to an earlier slot. When they return the following year, they immediately make a bit of a mess of things by not handing out an album of the year for anything released in '88 but go back two years to the previously discussed album by Robbie Robertson.
So, nothing to celebrate from 1988 - although Barney Bentall and The Legendary Hearts would have something to say about that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2004 in movies: grumpy trolls and grumpy old men rule
As a self-described savvy market overseer might say, Shrek sure was edgy, current, and hip. That Starbucks joke was funny then, back when ...
-
I've never watched an episode of CSI and I'll attribute that to two things, one of which is functional and one is kind of inexplic...
-
The first and only other time I've read this book, best seller in 2003, was only a couple of years after it came out. It was recommended...
-
2003 in video games: another weird arcade game, more Pokémon and SimCity, and Mario Kart has its dayIf you've been following along with my arcade posts, then you know the story from these early 2000s: Street Fighter, and other games l...

No comments:
Post a Comment