I had a friend whose family had moved over from England; I met him in Grade 6 and stayed in touch with him until around the time of this album in the late 90s. One of my last interactions with him was after he'd returned from visiting England and he asked us if the Spice Girls were a thing in Canada yet. When we said no, he replied ominously: they will be.
As I'll be turning 52 at the end of August 2026, I'll be spending the 52 weeks leading up to that moment by celebrating popular, acclaimed, and personally beloved movies, music, books, TV shows, games, food, or events from each year of my life. The plan is to move through one year each week - but I know enough about these kinds of projects to expect to be flexible. By the way: I live in Canada, just so you have a sense of what kinds of entertainment I've been surrounded by.
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
1997 music: girl power
I unironically loved this album. This CD, the best-seller of 97, was full of summer and road trip anthems for my friends and still has some favourites on it after all these years (favourite hit: Say You'll Be There; favourite album cut: If U Can't Dance).
Then, the next album was even better - and then, they were all but gone until reunion tours. But, they were a force of nature in their time.
I definitely slept on this album, which would win the Juno for Album of the Year, because I was a big fan of Fumbling Towards Ecstacy and found this one a little too straightforward and not quite as haunting as the former. I think the first single, Building a Mystery, set that tone for me because, even now, it sounds like it was a engineered to be a single. On the other hand, Adia is my favourite of McLachlan hits so that counts for a lot.
Then there's Angel, which was featured in a drinking and driving PSA that was used as part of the driver's ed program that I taught, so I can conservatively say that I've listened to that song over 100 times in the classroom, and even now when I listen to it I can hear the voice-over dialogue that went over certain parts of the song. On top of that, I believe it was used in a pet adoption video. And it was used in City of Angels. Suffice it to say, it's a fine song but it simply carries too much extra baggage for me to appreciate it on its own.
This time around, I quite liked a couple of songs from the middle of the album (Do What You Have To Do and Witness), so while it's not surprising for me to learn that there are some gems on here because McLachlin was still in her prime, it's another reminder to revisit works I've dismissed in the past.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2004 in movies: grumpy trolls and grumpy old men rule
As a self-described savvy market overseer might say, Shrek sure was edgy, current, and hip. That Starbucks joke was funny then, back when ...
-
I've never watched an episode of CSI and I'll attribute that to two things, one of which is functional and one is kind of inexplic...
-
The first and only other time I've read this book, best seller in 2003, was only a couple of years after it came out. It was recommended...
-
2003 in video games: another weird arcade game, more Pokémon and SimCity, and Mario Kart has its dayIf you've been following along with my arcade posts, then you know the story from these early 2000s: Street Fighter, and other games l...
No comments:
Post a Comment