Thursday, August 6, 2026

2004 in movies: grumpy trolls and grumpy old men rule

 

As a self-described savvy market overseer might say, Shrek sure was edgy, current, and hip. That Starbucks joke was funny then, back when I didn't drink coffee, and it's still a good one now ... and I still don't drink coffee.

Shrek 2 was a nice revisit to the follow-up punch (and, ultimately, last gasp) of a true phenomenon. Shrek, the franchise, was a shooting star that didn't really have lasting power, although I've heard tell good things of the Puss in Boots Last Wish movie so I should check that out. Shrek 2 was still in top-form and a good example of a sequel that simply offered more of the same without being regurgitative. And that was cool, because I think we just wanted a little more Shrek without worrying about expanding its universe or anything monumental like that.

Hand-down winning bit for me, though, is the scene-stealing Antonio Banderas doing his hairball performance. I hope this was really him doing it and not a stunt-cougher. https://youtu.be/F5wWlMNBrvY


As with all movies, games, books, and life in general, I'm always reticent in regards to discussing spoilers. But how to even approach discussing the Oscar-winning Million Dollar Baby without getting into its big twist? I guess by not talking about the big twist.

Well, first let's get the Marvel movie connections out of the way, because we're getting to the era in movie history when it's easy to spot two, three, or seven actors in a film that will eventually pop up in a super-hero flick. Here it's Peña and Mackie, but I was most pleased to see Mike Colter who is still a few years away from making me a Luke Cage fan. 

This really is two movies in one, of course, and while the boxing movie is fine, it's the final act that presumably put this one over the top and gave it the Oscar. There was always something I found a little clunky and emotionally distant about the whole film, even with that gut-punch ending. This time around time I still find it to be a fine, paint-by-numbers flick, whose transparent manipulative techniques keep me distracted and stop me from really investing myself in it. 

On that note, up next in Oscar history is Crash as Paul Haggis briefly ruled Hollywood with his on-the-nose touch. Can't wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

2004 in movies: grumpy trolls and grumpy old men rule

  As a self-described savvy market overseer might say, Shrek sure was edgy, current, and hip. That Starbucks joke was funny then, back when ...