Sunday, November 9, 2025

1982: Watching E.T. on Hallowe'en is the way to go

 

Unfortunately, either our VHS copy of E.T., the cords, or the player were acting up (there was sound but no video), and I was on a time crunch so I couldn't fiddle around with it too much. So, Netflix it was on this Hallowe'en night (that's my two dogs watching).


I have strong memories of being terrified by the corn field scene. I also remember watching it at school in grade 4 or 5 and a well-meaning teacher who was standing guard by the volume button only managed to quick-mute the "breath" part of Elliott's "penis breath" line. I was always disturbed by pasty-white E.T. in the ravine.

All of that is still there for me, now coupled with the appreciation of a film well-made.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2004 in movies: grumpy trolls and grumpy old men rule

  As a self-described savvy market overseer might say, Shrek sure was edgy, current, and hip. That Starbucks joke was funny then, back when ...