Sunday, February 1, 2026

1990's top show Cheers gives the gift of clips


First it was All in the Family, then Happy Days, and now Cheers does the noble thing by including a clip-episode during its one and only season as the number one show. In this case, it was a two-parter celebrating its 200th (and 201st) episodes, and I must have watched these a lot.

I remember not only every beat of every clip that was used, but I remember the interplay between the odd choice of host John McLaughlin and the cast. It would have been fun to be at that Q&A in person, because there must have been so much left out of the episode - including people on stage that they never even went to for a soundbite.

Now, as happy as I was for this retrospective, even I will admit that it took things a step too far when introducing the second episode with a "Previously on Cheers..." bit where they replayed some of the clips from the previous clip episode. That's just lazy.






No comments:

Post a Comment

2004 in movies: grumpy trolls and grumpy old men rule

  As a self-described savvy market overseer might say, Shrek sure was edgy, current, and hip. That Starbucks joke was funny then, back when ...