The American Dream, however, survives, because it will seemingly always survive the failure of one of its chasers since there are untold more about to commence their own chase.
As I'll be turning 52 at the end of August 2026, I'll be spending the 52 weeks leading up to that moment by celebrating popular, acclaimed, and personally beloved movies, music, books, TV shows, games, food, or events from each year of my life. The plan is to move through one year each week - but I know enough about these kinds of projects to expect to be flexible. By the way: I live in Canada, just so you have a sense of what kinds of entertainment I've been surrounded by.
Monday, February 16, 2026
1996's Pulitzer Prize winner is a blunt morality tale
It doesn't take too much digging to get under The American Dream and discover that it can be selfish and hurtful to anyone caught in the wake of someone chasing it. In this Pulitzer Prize winning story, young Martin Dressler works his way up from shop worker to business magnate, losing his perpetually tenuous personal connections along the way.
Author Steven Millhauser's cautionary story has been told before, and it's tempting to look back thirty years and think how quant it is that people weren't already aware of how personally brutal a focus on business prosperity can be. But, of course, they knew that in 1996, too.
Dressler's big dreams are in business real estate, building bigger and grander shopping centres and dreaming of building a micro-city with a place to live, work, and shop, all within an expanse of his design. His business dreams never come true, and in the midst of chasing those dreams he loses connections to his wife, Caroline, and her sister Emmaline (to whom Dressler was spiritually closer).
In the end, I'd say that while this isn't a tale previously untold, but it's a tell well-told and worth telling (and re-telling again).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2004 in movies: grumpy trolls and grumpy old men rule
As a self-described savvy market overseer might say, Shrek sure was edgy, current, and hip. That Starbucks joke was funny then, back when ...
-
I've never watched an episode of CSI and I'll attribute that to two things, one of which is functional and one is kind of inexplic...
-
The first and only other time I've read this book, best seller in 2003, was only a couple of years after it came out. It was recommended...
-
2003 in video games: another weird arcade game, more Pokémon and SimCity, and Mario Kart has its dayIf you've been following along with my arcade posts, then you know the story from these early 2000s: Street Fighter, and other games l...
No comments:
Post a Comment